Thursday 7 January 2010

Nothing compares.




I like to clean- it has been know. Sorry, let me correct myself, I don't like to clean, yet I like things to be 
clean and tidy, so I have to clean to achieve that!
   On one of my cleaning frenzies, I found myself dusting off a wooden jewelry box of mine. As I was cleaning it, I thought how lovely it looked and how well preserved it was. It had been my Mums, she had bought it when we lived in Dubai. It is beautifully carved and still has a distinct smell inside. When I open it up and smell the scent inside, it brings back fond memories.
 As I was thinking about this, and being reminded about how I used to open the box, just to smell the inside, something dawned on me. This box had aged, and faded in appearance and  in scent, over the years. The only reason I couldn't tell exactly how much it had faded and aged, was because I have nothing to compare it to. I do not have a new box, which has not faded.  I only have my memories and observations to go by.
 So here I was, admiring the beauty of this box. Yet, I wondered, If I had a new one to compare it to, which would look more beautiful? Take a look at this original picture:





If you compare it to the first picture, it is easy to see which box has more vibrance and colour. It is richer and brighter and all together more appealing to the eye.

How often in life, do we forget who we should compare ourselves to? We fall into the trap of comparing ourselves with others. We may feel, we look good and have adhering qualities in comparison to some unsavory characters. Yet we should be checking how we look against Christ! He should be the one we want to be like! Unlike a box, that fades and loses its vibrancy with age, we can fix our eyes on God, he can make us brighter than the morning sun!



2 Corinthians 3:18 

18And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.


Lets not settle for anything less, than becoming more and more Christ-like!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails