Tuesday 1 September 2009

Ellie has lost her comforter.

Did anyone have a childhood comforter? I did. I sucked my 'pointy' finger upside down, whilst stroking my nose with my middle finger. I would clutch onto an old pair of p.j's that had become my tatty comforter since a very young age. I called it my 'cuddly.'  



I remember exactly how cuddly looked, he  was made of white cotton, soft to touch, with a red apples design all over them. I would swing cuddly around and around in the air to make it cold before snuggling it up to my face. I also remember how devastated I was when my younger brother decided to 'lose' my cuddly at a restaurant in Dubai. He 'accidently' put it one of their outside trash bins! - I never saw that cuddly again! Grrrr!




 Well Ellie has lost her comforter this weekend. She took it with her to church and we cant trace it. We have searched everywhere, even in the school lockers..It isn't being found! 


Bed time has been difficult, as  Ellie only wants  to cuddle her 'Rabbie.' We have tried giving her other soft toys, but its 'Rabbie' she craves! She wants the comfort that has been with her since she was a babe. No replacement comforter will fill her void.
 As I was thinking about this situation, I was thinking about when we, as adults, lose our comfort. Nothing can replace the comfort that God gives to us. When it is lost, we may try to replace it with other types of comfort. Food, wine, television, whatever we try and use, it is never a good enough substitute. We need to cry out for our true comfort- God!!



'Even though I walk
       through the valley of the shadow of death,
       I will fear no evil,
       for you are with me;
       your rod and your staff,
       they comfort me.' Psalm 23:4
' You will increase my honor
       and comfort me once again.' Psalm 71:21

'I remember your ancient laws, O LORD, and I find comfort in them.' Psalm 119:52
May your unfailing love be my comfort,
       according to your promise to your servant.  Psalm 119:76
Lets pray that Ellie finds her comfort soon!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails